Although the Association of Vierdaagse Gold Cross Holders was established in 1951, informal reunions of Gold Cross Holders date back to 1946. In June that year about forty gold cross holders, including five women, gathered in Nijmegen. The reunion included a formal dinner and, on 23 June, a one-day march. While the gold cross holders took part in the march, it was an open event, and it is likely that several hundred walkers participated. The Mayor (burgemeester) of Nijmegen was also involved in the reunion. He attended the formal dinner and was probably present at the march. At that time the City authorities were keen to promote Nijmegen as the centre of the Vierdaagse. Due to the city’s severe war damage, the NBVLO were considering holding the March elsewhere. This caused concerns locally since, as well as the prestige of the event, it brought in significant revenue for local business.
All participants of the 23 June 1946 march would have received the medal. This was gilded and had a width of 30 mm at its widest point. It was awarded without a ribbon.